Local forums
Herts Valley
Access local health support from experts and community members in Herts Valley covering the following localities: Dacorum, St Albans & Harpenden, Hertsmere, Watford & Three Rivers.

Your local Herts Valley forums

What's on your mind?

Share your experiences of treatment or care, give local health tips and suggestions, tell others about support groups or voluntary organisations or simply find other people in your neighbourhood who have a similar interest or health concern.

Don't have an account? Sign up.

Start a new discussion

Sign in

If you want to start or participate in a discussion, you'll need to create an account or log in first.

CarerPenny

A good care home around Elstree

After much thought I have decided to look for a different care home for my father although i know the change will be difficult for him. Can anyone recommend a good home in the Elstree area.

872 views CarerPenny, Herts - Wed, 21 Sep 2016

milan

"Diabulimia" - what is it and is it harmful?

I have to make young people aware of the dangers of reducing your insulin dose for weight loss. This can potentially leave your diabetes out of control and may lead to a ketoacidotic episode which can mean being admitted to hospital. I have posted a good link about this and the hazards associated with it. https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Living_with_diabetes/Diabulimia/

924 views milan, North London - Fri, 9 Sep 2016

CarerPenny

A week's break from caring for my father

I care for my elderly father who has dementia. He doesn't need much help usually although he needs to be watched over as he wanders and leaves the gas cooker on. I want to go away for a week - does anyone know whether the NHS or social services will arrange his care while i go away?

931 views CarerPenny, Herts - Sat, 30 Jul 2016

Janet

PYO

If anyone is looking for a relaxing way of spending a summer’s afternoon you might want to think about going PYO for fresh fruit at any of these places which I like: Cammas hall Farm , Hatfield Broad Oak, CM22 7JT Graveley strawberries, Graveley, SG4 7EH Hawks wick fruit Harpenden Road, St. Albans, Hertfordshire AL3 6JG If you have any good ideas on how to make good fruit dishes and drinks please share with us here.

968 views Janet, United Kingdom - Fri, 1 Jul 2016

Fiona81

We deserve a post-Brexit new hospital in West Herts! Please post/share if you agree

We desperately need a new hospital in West Herts - after the closure of A&E in Hemel people are forced to travel to Watford which is struggling terribly. The Leave campaign told us that voting out would free up £350m per week to spend on the NHS. Now that the decision has been made, it's time they put their money where their mouth is. Please post your support in this discussion group if you agree and share with your friends. Herts Valley CCG are apparently a member of this group and will...

2 replies , 1457 views Fiona81, Herts Valley - Wed, 29 Jun 2016

Richard38

Brexit and the NHS

For various reasons my family rely on the NHS quite a lot. I can't help thinking that the vote to leave will mean that in 5 years time we won't have an NHS as we know it. What do people think?

938 views Richard38, Herts Valley - Mon, 27 Jun 2016

hf-editors

Have you seen a lovely doctor, nurse or health professional in Hertfordshire recently?

Spread the love and name the health professional that gave you or your family a good care experience on this thread. They can be a ward nurse, district nurse, GP, hospital doctor or any clinician, NHS or private. HealthFriends will pass your compliment to the professional concerned who will value your positive feedback.

1 reply , 1323 views hf-editors, Thu, 23 Jun 2016

hf-editors

Welcome

Welcome to the Herts Valley community forum! Here you can chat with your neighbours about anything and everything; from local services and facilities to events, shops and restaurants. It’s a great place to make friends and discover new things about your local area.

3 replies , 1401 views hf-editors, Wed, 8 Jun 2016

Previous 1 2 Next

Follow us on Twitter Twitter and FacebookFacebook to keep up to date with our latest articles
Offering daily tips and advice, in depth health and wellbeing features and expert articles explaining the latest medical advances to help you be well.
vaping

Long-term vaping 'far safer than smoking' says 'landmark' study

"Vaping has been endorsed by health experts after the first long-term study of its effects in ex-smokers," ITV News reports. A six-month study found that e-cigarettes users had far lower levels of toxins and carcinogens in their body than smokers…

MND

'Breakthrough in communication for patients with severe MND', study claims

"Mind-reading machine allows people with 'locked-in' syndrome to communicate," reports the Mail Online. The report is based on a study that aimed to communicate with four patients unable to speak, move or blink...

burnt toast

Warning over 'burnt toast chemical' acrylamide’s cancer risk

"Browned toast and potatoes are 'potential cancer risk', say food scientists," BBC News reports. The FSA has launched a campaign about the possible health risk of acrylamide; a chemical formed when starchy foods are subjected to a high temperature…

View all be well magazine articles