Local forums
Barnet
Access local health support from experts and community members covering the following localities: Colindale, Cricklewood, Edgware, Finchley, Golders Green, Hampstead, Hendon, Mill Hill, Muswell Hill, Southgate, Temple Fortune, Whetstone, Woodside Park

Your local Barnet forums

What's on your mind?

Share your experiences of treatment or care, give local health tips and suggestions, tell others about support groups or voluntary organisations or simply find other people in your neighbourhood who have a similar interest or health concern.

Don't have an account? Sign up.

Start a new discussion

Sign in

If you want to start or participate in a discussion, you'll need to create an account or log in first.

Joe

Orlistat in Barnet

I asked my doctor to prescribe this for me as it worked for a friend who lost a stone on it. I am planning to get married in the summer and want to lose some pounds. He said although i was above my ideal weight I am not heavy enough to get this on the NHS - something about the local CCG wouldn't be too happy to be charged for this. I don't understand why i can't get this on the NHS when he agrees that I am overweight. Has anybody had this problem in Barnet?

1 reply , 1690 views Joe, United Kingdom - Fri, 10 Feb 2017

Paulxx

episodes of depression

I've been experiencing episodes of depression and its truly ruining my life. I've had numerous episodes these past couple of weeks and almost broke my hand punching a cement wall. I don't know how to control myself and my moods and I go for short periods of time days or even weeks of elated mood then just outta nowhere crashing depression and I feel so lost and confused. I feel like no one can help me and getting professional help isn't an option for me so I'm just looking for ways to cope...

1 reply , 1492 views Paulxx, Barnet - Tue, 24 Jan 2017

Carlym

my Daughter was just diagnosed with Celiac disease

Finding foods my teenage daughter likes has been near impossible but it has only been 3 days. Her TTG’s came back extremely high (85) and it seems like getting her below 4 is a lifetime away. I just want to make this easier for her. I want to find foods she can enjoy. She was a total foodie before this. She loves to cook and try new recipes but she hates the new ingredients before she even tries them. I am hoping this is just the initial anger phase and she will move out of it Please tell me...

1 reply , 1581 views Carlym, Barnet - Fri, 20 Jan 2017

sheilaH

Afib & Anxietiy

It has occurred to me that my afib is possibly a lot due to my anxieties and stress. When it started 15 years ago, I had a lot of upheaval and stress in my life. I have been doing some research and find that adrenaline plays a big part in this problem and wondered if others are very anxious?

1 reply , 1512 views sheilaH, Barnet - Wed, 4 Jan 2017

Tattyteddy

mucinous overian cancer

I've recently been diagnosed with stage 1C2 mucinous ovarian cancer.   I've been told that it's the kind of cancer that requires surgery but doesn't respond to chemo therefore I'm having to have a full hysterectomy next week, .  I was wondering if anyone who has had this kind of mucinous cancer has ended up having chemo after having had the same procedure? 

1202 views Tattyteddy, Barnet - Fri, 18 Nov 2016

Carlym

New here...skin cancer

Hello all! I just found out I have a rare type of skin cancer called dermatofibrosarcoma. I had a lump removed and it turned out to be a cancerous tumor. I'm told it's not that bad of a cancer, but I am wondering if anyone else has this same cancer and how it went for them. The Dr's are telling me that they are going to have to go back and do surgery to make sure they get all the cancer out in the area where the tumor was. I'm worried because when you're told you have the big word "cancer" it...

1265 views Carlym, Barnet - Thu, 17 Nov 2016

David63

you dont have to be a smoker to get lung cancer

I have only been recently diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic non small cell adenocarcinoma of the (right) lung. I tested positive for the ALK gene and am taking Xalkori an oral medication. At this point I have had no side effects from this drug. I do not smoke nor have I ever been a smoker so this was a surprise to me as I was under the mistaken impression that only smokers or people exposed to toxic carcinogens were at risk. Since I have been diagnosed I have been trying to get the word out...

1188 views David63, Barnet - Wed, 16 Nov 2016

sheilaH

How to delay dementia?

Both of my parents have dementia and I'm really worried about getting it, its so horrible to watch both of your parents with it I'm so scared about getting it early in life like my mother. does anyone have any tips on how to hold it off for as long as possible!

1063 views sheilaH, Barnet - Mon, 31 Oct 2016

Janet

breast cancer help!

I found a couple lumps on my left side on the bottom of the breast and had those looked at around April 2016 and was told it was probably from my underwire bra or fibrocystic. Then I found a lump not on my breast but just below my left breast just below the bra line. It started out pea sized and is now about almond size. Over the past 6+ months I have thought it was a pimple or something else. I have had itching, pain, discharge on my left nipple but did not go in as I thought the Dr would push...

1124 views Janet, United Kingdom - Sat, 8 Oct 2016

Joe

Measuring blood pressure at home

I have been asked to buy a machine to take my blood pressure every week at home. Does anyone know which one is a good make? A friend suggested Boots own make. also what is the correct way of doing it - my friend does it like this on the wrist.

1153 views Joe, United Kingdom

Previous 1 2 3 Next

Follow us on Twitter Twitter and FacebookFacebook to keep up to date with our latest articles
Offering daily tips and advice, in depth health and wellbeing features and expert articles explaining the latest medical advances to help you be well.
vaping

Long-term vaping 'far safer than smoking' says 'landmark' study

"Vaping has been endorsed by health experts after the first long-term study of its effects in ex-smokers," ITV News reports. A six-month study found that e-cigarettes users had far lower levels of toxins and carcinogens in their body than smokers…

MND

'Breakthrough in communication for patients with severe MND', study claims

"Mind-reading machine allows people with 'locked-in' syndrome to communicate," reports the Mail Online. The report is based on a study that aimed to communicate with four patients unable to speak, move or blink...

burnt toast

Warning over 'burnt toast chemical' acrylamide’s cancer risk

"Browned toast and potatoes are 'potential cancer risk', say food scientists," BBC News reports. The FSA has launched a campaign about the possible health risk of acrylamide; a chemical formed when starchy foods are subjected to a high temperature…

View all be well magazine articles