Autistic Spectrum Disorder

A community for parents, carers and friends of children with autistic spectrum disorder.


How do I get my child tested for autisic spectrum disorder


NickyH7472 - Female, 60 - 70, Isle of Wight

Isle of Wight - Mon, 17 Mar 2014

I have asked my doctor for a referral to have my child tested for autism. He has already been diagnosed with ADHD. He has told me to ask the school for a referral is this the case.
I may be being sceptical but at the present time Consultant has to me to ask the school for a CAF for extra support and they say they dont do it. Please help I just seem to be going round in circles.

Alert moderator

Replies (1)


Beckyzealy - Female, Stockport

Stockport - Mon, 24 Mar 2014

My son was recently diagnosed with autism in jan.
It all started by speaking my concerns to my health visitor, she put the wheels in motion really, if your son needs extra support you need to have specialist see him and assess him and write reports also most important is to be referred to a educational psychologist.
My son had been seen by one when he was 3 and he is 4 now turning 5 in September and he has only just received 10 hours a week extra support in school and we are awaiting a statement so he can have high support for when he starts nursery,
If you can contact your health visitor that would be a good starting point Hun.
Hope this helped :-)

Alert moderator

Do you have anything to add?

Sign in

If you want to start or participate in a discussion, you'll need to create an account or log in first.

Log in Create account