Enfield

Access local health support from experts and community members in Enfield covering the following localities: Arnos Grove, Cockfosters, Crews Hill, Edmonton, Enfield Lock, Enfield Town, Forty Hill, Hadley Wood, New Southgate, Oakwood, Palmers Green, Ponders End, Southgate

Ulcerative colltis

Jen45

Jen45 - Enfield

Enfield - Fri, 27 Jan 2017

I started having symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis when I was in my mid 30's . I was having diarrhea all the time. I went to some Internal Medicine Doctors and they performed a lower GI and a Sigmoidoscopy. I think they told me I had IBS, which is Irritable Bowel Syndrome and then they told me to eat more fiber. They never performed a colonoscopy on me at the time. So, I was miserable, I gave up on doctors. I saw a Gastroenterologist and I had a colonoscopy and I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis a few years later. I then had a second colonoscopy. It was such a relief to have a diagnosis. I was still having the diarrhea, but at least I knew WHY I was having the diarrhea. I first was on Asacol, but now I am on that expensive Lialda, I also have been taking Cholestyramine Powder. I don't know exactly how the Cholestyramine works, but if I DON'T TAKE IT I have terrible yellow, watery diahrrea and I feel really sick all around. RIGHT NOW I have had CONSTIPATION for three months !
What's up with that ! Really, I had the runs for years and now all of a sudden I am constipated. I see my new Gastroenterologist soon, I have never been prescribed any heavy medications and I have never had any surgeries on my colon. I have had a anal fistulectomy and two rectal abscess surgeries.

Alert moderator

Replies (0)

There are no replies in this discussion.  You can be the first.

Sign in

If you want to start or participate in a discussion, you'll need to create an account or log in first.

Follow us on Twitter Twitter and FacebookFacebook to keep up to date with our latest articles