Barnet

Access local health support from experts and community members covering the following localities: Colindale, Cricklewood, Edgware, Finchley, Golders Green, Hampstead, Hendon, Mill Hill, Muswell Hill, Southgate, Temple Fortune, Whetstone, Woodside Park

you dont have to be a smoker to get lung cancer

David63

David63 - Barnet

Barnet - Wed, 16 Nov 2016

I have only been recently diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic non small cell adenocarcinoma of the (right) lung. I tested positive for the ALK gene and am taking Xalkori an oral medication. At this point I have had no side effects from this drug.
I do not smoke nor have I ever been a smoker so this was a surprise to me as I was under the mistaken impression that only smokers or people exposed to toxic carcinogens were at risk.
Since I have been diagnosed I have been trying to get the word out that this is a deadly misconception. I was seeing my PCP for shortness of breath, tightness in my chest, hoarseness and a persistent cough. I was diagnosed with bronchitis/asthma and given an antibiotic (to no effect) and an inhaler for several months before I became so short of breath I couldn't walk across the room, so I booked an appointment, the doctor sent me to have an x-ray at hospital and they found that I had a pleural effusion. I was sent to drain the fluid (1.5 liters) and have it analyzed. It came back positive for malignant cells and I was then sent for a CT scan which showed a tumor on my right lung. I had a PET scan that revealed the tumor was contained to the right lung. I underwent a VATS procedure to drain (2 liters) and seal the pleura and biopsy the tumor. They did a genetic marker test on the tumor and it revealed a defective (ALK) gene.

I would just like to get it out there that you don't have to be a smoker to get lung cancer.

Alert moderator

Replies (0)

There are no replies in this discussion.  You can be the first.

Sign in

If you want to start or participate in a discussion, you'll need to create an account or log in first.

Follow us on Twitter Twitter and FacebookFacebook to keep up to date with our latest articles